Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweet Art...

Corduroy pants repurposed into a fabric "locket"

with a personal message inside...

Coffee bag from Brazil, woven remnant from Guatemala...
Making class samples for Beattie Chicks usually benefits my home and family in more than one way. I get excited about making art (mommy's happiness directly impacts the happiness of the entire family) and my children and, sometimes, husband, receive lovely little works of art from me!

Since she was a baby, I have sung "You are my sunshine..." to Jolee. I have changed the words..of course, I always change lyrics to fit my needs...and she often says to me, "mommy, please sing the my sunshine song." This little fabric locket is hers to hold close to her heart and now, when she wants to "hear" the song, she will have it close by.

I'm hoping that one day Elvia can travel back to her native country and experience the beauty that is Guatemala. I fell in love with the culture there the minute I stepped off the plane. Sure, it's crazy busy, dirty and extremely poor, but the kindness behind the eyes spoke to my soul. The women in Guatemala share a deep connection to a culture rich in beauty and respect for mothering. I admire their strength so much.

In making this simple wall hanging for Elvia, I thought of those women who weave daily. The time it takes. The patience. The skill. I thought of Elvia's connection to those women and how I hope that, one day, she will grow to love and appreciate her native culture.

My next project is well underway...photos will come soon. I will say that it has everything to do with where I came from and how I come to be where I am...

I'll leave it at that for now.
Happy Tuesday to you. I challenge you to appreciate and love something about YOU and your culture today. What is it about your family history that excites and invigorates you? The smell of your mom's favorite cookies baking? The aroma of the woodstove in the cool mornings? Let me know what it is...

1 comment:

  1. I love these ideas, will give them a go next time I have an afternoon free!

    ReplyDelete